Maha Wizaya Pagoda
The Maha Wizaya Pagoda (Burmese: မဟာဝိဇယစေတီ; Pali: Māhavijayacetiya) is a pagoda located on Shwedagon Pagoda Road in Dagon Township, Yangon, Myanmar. The pagoda, built in 1980, is located immediately south of the Shwedagon Pagoda on Dhammarakhita Hill. The enshrined relics were contributed by the King of Nepal, while the pagoda's hti (umbrella) was consecrated by Ne Win, the country's former leader. The construction of this particular pagoda is believed by some scholars to have been a form of merit-making on the part of Ne Win.
The pagoda was built to commemorate the convening of the First Congregation of All Orders for the Purification, Perpetuation and Propagation of Sasana in 1980, which formed the State Sangha Maha Nayaka Committee, a governmental regulatory body of Buddhist monks.
- Yitri, Moksha (June 1989). "The Crisis in Burma: Back from the Heart of Darkness?". Asian Survey. University of California Press. 29 (6): 548. doi:10.1525/as.1989.29.6.01p02786. JSTOR 2644751.
- Keown, Damien (10 June 2003). A dictionary of Buddhism. Oxford University Press. p. 167. ISBN 9780198605607.
- Matthews, Bruce (Spring 1988). "The Present Fortune of Tradition-Bound Authoritarianism in Myanmar". Pacific Affairs. University of British Columbia. 71 (1): 18. doi:10.2307/2760820. JSTOR 2760820.
- "Maha Wizaya Pagoda". Myanmars.net. Retrieved 10 March 2012.